nap lack

Today, for the first time in the history of my kids' lives, we forewent naps. If you know me, or my kids for that matter, you know what a stretch (and also how insane) this is.

However, our house is on the market and we had two showings back-to-back today, so we had to be out of the house from the time our cleaning lady got there at 11:00 until the end of the last appointment at 4:00. Iris refused her morning snooze by pooping 5 minutes after I laid her down so I pretty much knew I was screwed.

We grabbed lunch and then killed some time at the germ pit at the mall before heading to my parents' house; I was hoping against all hope that the littles would lay down for at least 45 minutes but it was a no-go. Mimi is just too much fun. Plus there were presents under the tree and Dragon Tales was on so you know sleep was not going to be any sort of reasonable option.

Shockingly, my little angels hung in there like troopers until we got in the car to head home. Iris was completely zoned, her pacifier hanging halfway out of her mouth, and she was gripping the string of the balloon that she scored at the mall. Ocean, on the other hand, was screaming, "I don't want food! I don't like food! I hit food!" I hadn't said anything about food, so I assumed he was just hungry and tired and a toddler. So I took a cue from Iris, zoned out, and ignored him. When he started crying, "Mommy, mommy... MOMMMMMYYYYYYY!" I thought he might actually need something so I said, "Yes, Ocean?" He wailed, "I DON'T WANT FOOOOOOD!" I increased the volume of the silly pop station in the speakers which in turn caused Ocean to yell, "I don't like music!"

"This isn't music, Ocean. It's Fergie," I said.

Silence. Followed by, "Ooooohhhhhhh..." He was quiet the rest of the way home, presumably contemplating the limits and parameters within which art is defined.

We got home and they ate the fastest dinner ever and were in bed by 6:12. I thought I was home free until 8:07 when they both woke up thinking they had just had a nap. Ocean was very confused as to why it was dark outside and Iris was just mad that I wouldn't pick her up. A stuffed puppy settled her down and a brand new pair of Thomas the Train big boy underpants over his pajamas lured Ocean back into sweet slumber.

This may have been the longest day of my life. As Fergie is my witness, I will never go napless again.


Steph said...

I am exhausted just listening to your day. I am such a big fan of naps if only for my sanity. Kudos to you, supermom! ;) I hope today is a less insane day. :)

Jobi Harrell said...

Ugh. I can't handle the no nap with one..I don't know if that validates you or not?!

Becky said...

Oh NOOOOOO! I hate the early-bedtime-and-they-think-it's-a-nap. It is one of the most fearsome parenting situations!

Sounds like you handled it with your usual aplomb, though.

Candice said...

I'm confused...I thought you just moved a while ago? lol...maybe I'm behind.

Candice said...

Ok I read the MM blog and feel more in-the-know now! :)

Cassie said...

Today was better with the sleep, guys, except I'm pretty sure Ocean has the flu. Which may explain his aversion to food yesterday. Poor dude has a crazy high fever and refuses to eat or drink anything but juice.

Candice, we have a moving addiction. Not really. Though we have moved 7 times collectively in the last 5 years. We were hoping to stay in this house forever but we've decided that moving will be a wiser long-term decision in light of the MM. So... know anyone who wants a house? Heh.

Candice said...

lol....Scott and I have been married almost 5 years and we've moved 4 times...I totally understand! :) I still hate packing though!!