5.18.2006

do or do not; there is no "try"

We started our Hypnobirthing class last night. I'm so beyond excited about it... I clearly have a lot to work through because of my previous birth experience but I'm feeling positive that this one will be entirely different, in a good way. We learned a lot about the subconscious mind, the mind-body connection and did some basic hypnosis exercises. What stood out to me the most was when our instructor suggested that we have the power and ability to decide how things will affect us, and how we will feel about those experiences.

Part of me wants to give myself permission to throw my natural birth plans out the window if I have another intense 28 hour labor, because I'm afraid that first contraction will hit and I'll flash back to those 24 unmedicated hours and beg for the drugs immediately, not wanting to relive the intensity of that experience. But I also know that I need to make a choice about what I want and how I'm going to get there, and decide not to fear labor. I'm working through this and hopefully in a few weeks I'll be all hypnotized and determined to have a natural, peaceful birth.

I also want to add a note just to say that I realize birth is an incredibly intimate and personal experience for every woman and I believe each mother should make decisions about labor and birth that are in the best interests of her and her baby. My commentary is in no way to suggest that I disagree with pain meds or necessary medical interventions... my desire is simply to have an unmedicated birth, with no judgment of those who choose a different path. =)

No comments: