9.06.2007

when to say when

A quick little funny:

This morning Ocean and I got home from the grocery store right at nap time. When he's tired he has a difficult time controlling his emotions, as do most toddlers. We came in the apartment but because he wanted to stay outside he decided to express his displeasure by screaming and then headbutting my legs. I bent down, looked him in the eye and said the standard, "Ocean, you do not hit mommy. If you hit again, you will get a time-out." He nodded his head and ran into the hallway, where we "do" time-outs. I walked into the hallway and he was sitting, facing the wall with his legs crossed! I sat down behind him and counted to 30 as we always do and he just sat quietly, leaning against me, truly taking a time-out. At the end of the 30 seconds he smiled, gave me a kiss and went to find his stuffed duck, completely calm and centered.

I guess even babies know when they've lost control and need a break in order to get themselves together. I could probably learn a thing or two from this kid...

No comments: